Monday, June 10, 2013

"Sunday" Nail Art-Jelly Sandwiches with Zoya Frida!

Hi guys sorry I didn't have nay nail art yesterday! I was too busy planning my stupid FRENCH ORALS which I did today, plus my dad kept nagging about my math grade and how I should do extra math problems. Sigh...
So today I needed to something simple, no talent really required, so today's nail "art" is more of an experiment, my first try at the JELLY SANDWICH!! I've read/seen so many pics of these, but have never tried one. If you don't know what a jelly sandwich is, it's when you take a jelly polish (which is a kinda sheer/jelly lookin polish) and apply a couple coats to your nail, then apply a coat(s) of glitter, another coat(s) of the jelly polish on top of the glitter, and then another coat of glitter on top (optional). Due to the sheer nature of the jelly polish, the first coat of glitter will show through the polish and give the effect that the glitter is "sandwiched" between the layers of the jelly polish. At least, that's what it's supposed to look like :P
The jelly polish that I used for today's manicure (and the only jelly that I own:( ) is Zoya-Frida which is s pretty tealy blue green jelly polish. The formula on this is like a jelly, which is different from that of a regular creme finish polish. It's runnier and more watery, and is meant to be really sheer so you can apply multiple coats and darken the color. This was my first time working with a jelly, so I was new to this whole thing, but I didn't really have any problems applying Frida. I used thin coats and tried not to glob it on too much, which I usually do, and I was fine. This also tried pretty quickly, which is good because you have to keep going back and doing many coats. 
I experimented with all sorts of different glitters on a different finger of both my hands. So the nails on my left and right hand are different. God it bugs me so much!
Anyway on my right hand (from pinkie to thumb) I have:
-Models Own-Dancing Queen
-Color Club-Platinum Record
-Kleancolor-Firework
-Models Own-Ibiza Mix
-China Glaze-Whirled Away
These nails all have 3(!) coats of basecoat, 2 coats of Frida, one coat of the glitter, another 2 coats of Frida, one coat of the same glitter, and 2 coats of top coat. I used a sh*tload of base coat because a) I normally use a strengthening base coat and an adhesive one, and I've heard that tinted base coats are good for sheer polishes, so I used a tinted base coat in addition to my other 2, and b) I REALLY didn't want my nails to be all blue green stained!

Let me also just say that these were a real pain in the ass to photograph...
Here's an uber close up of my right hand ring finger (Platinum Record) so you can see the "sandwich" effect better:
You can also see how the light sorta shines through the nail near the tip because the polish isn't totally opaque. I think it looks cool.
This is my left hand. Glitter polishes from pinkie to thumb are:
-Wet N' Wild-Kaleidoscope (fine holographic glitter) + OPI-The Living Daylights (larger hex glitter)
-Deborah Lippmann-Happy Birthday
-Brand from China that's called Lucidarling (fine gold glitter) + Sephora by     OPI Tinsel Me Silver (bar glitter)
-Lucidarling (large gold glitter)
-OPI-Lights of Emerald City
I think in general I like the larger glitter better, it just gives off a better sandwich effect, while the fine glitter doesn't. I also probably should have used thinner, less glitter dense coats, so you could see the glitter underneath better. Like if you look at my ring finger it's sort of hard to see the "underlayer" of Happy Birthday.
My favorite fingers out of the whole manicure are my right pinky (Dancing Queen), my right ring finger (Platinum Record), my right index finger (Ibiza Mix), and my left index finger (Large gold glitter)

So that's it for today! Hope you're all satisfied (cough cough my blonde friend) because I took all afternoon doing these instead of studying for finals. So if I fail it's YOUR fault. jk...
Overall I really like the jelly sandwich effect and I think I'll try it again some time, and do it better! 
Zoya polishes cost $8 online, and the other glitters all cost various amounts. If you have any questions about the price you can leave them in the comments!
Whew this was a long post! Thanks for reading guys and enjoy the rest of your week!
Oh and uh...just cuz:

teehee :)

2 comments: