Saturday, June 8, 2013

Urban Outfitters-Dust

Hello happy Saturday yay! Hope everyone's having a good weekend. I had a 6 hour marching band "boot camp" rehearsal this morning. God it was exhausting, and we've barely even started the actual marching part yet! Don't ever let ANYONE tell you that marching band isn't a legit sport, because IT IS INTENSE!
So anyway...[segway]...today's polish is another Urban Outfitters polish, Dust. Dust is a glitter in kind of a blueish base with dark silver glitter. 
As you can see, the blueish base isn't really obvious once it's on the nail. Really all you see is this blue-y tinted silver glitter. Here's a bottle shot, where you can see the grey ish blue base:

I messed with the color balacne just a little to get the base color to show better. This is how the bottle looks in real life, quite a lot of blue. Sadly that blue doesn't translate onto the nail :(
The formula is also a tad tricky. It's thinner than I expected, and runnier/streaky, so the first coat is quite patchy. The second coat is more opaque, but there are still some patchy areas, so I'm wearing 3 coats in these pictures. Since it was so much thinner than I expected, I experimented with some layering.
Here's one coat of Dust over black and white:
Over the white polish on my middle finger you can see the blue base better, and also see how streaky it is. I think it looks pretty cool over black, it looks like Color Club-Platinum Record, which is silver glitter in a clear base. I'll do swatches/a comparison maybe some other time.
Here's one coat of Dust over OPI-I Don't Give A Rotterdam! which is a slate blue with slight copper shimmer.
I tried to choose a polish with a similar base color as Dust to see how it would look. I kind of hoped the copper shimmer in IDGAR would show through, but it didn't :(
And for the sake of experimenting, here's one coat of Dust over Jordana-Pink Lilac
I had hoped that the blue on top of the pink would make a purple-y color, but I clearly still have much to learn about layering polishes, cuz all I got was a streaky ugly blueish mess.
:D
Overall I think I would like this polish a lot more if it were in a clear base, or if the blue showed up better. Right now, it's just sort of grungy looking, and I'm not sure when I could ever use it, except maybe as an accent nail with nail art or something :( 
Urban Outfitters polishes cost $5 in stores.
Anyway that's all for today guys thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment