Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What I've Been Wearing (On My Nails)

Hey friends readers and other people! I'm back! Yay. I know I've been like mia for weeeeeeks now...I have a good explanation. I promise. Soo if you didn't know I was in China for 2 weeks...so obviously there was no blogging to be done there. But I had a great time I was there with my mom visiting family, my grandparents, who by the way, live in THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, and eating Chinese food. Which in China, is nothing like the "chinese food" they have here. And dear God it was sooo hot! And I watched lot's of movies and TV and stuff. Cuz I was in the middle of nowhere and had nothing to do. But like, American TV stuff. I watched lot's of big band theory, and friends, and elementary, and FINALLY got a chance to watch Person of Interest! Yay me. And, of course, I bought more nail polish. The good thing about the middle of nowhere is that things are CHEAP! I got 5 bottles of polish for like 8 bucks. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!! Ok so then afterwards my mom and I stopped in Shanghai just for a couple days, and I bought more nail polish and visited some more family and stuff. And so I got back like 2 weeks ago i guess, on Friday night.   So yeah ALL of last week I was mostly free and probably should have updated this blog, except I was kinda busy yaknow...being the laziest ass in the world and watching friends all day and yeah...And then last thursday my family and I went to upstate New york to spend some time in a lake house with our neighboors, and we didn't get back till Sunday. And band precamp started on Monday and I'm away marching and playing in the hot hot sun from 9-2. So I guess this week I'll be able to get some blogging done, before leaving for band camp in Pennsylvania on Sunday, and will have no computer access/free time for all 5 days. So yeah August is like a super busy month for me. But I'll try and post some stuff for this week! I did do my nails after I got back from China and I have pics of those for you guys today!
So what I attempted here was a turquoise stone effect. Like this:
I'd seen lots of turquoise stone manicures so I thought I'd give it a try. So this is what I ended up with...
 So really not sure how I feel about these. I do think the effect is really cool...but I probably should have picked a more turquoise-y base color. What I'm wearing here is Urban Outfitters-Absinthe. It's a couple shades darker than what you see in the pictures. And that really isn't the color of absinthe. It annoys me when polish names are like that. If you're gonna name a polish absinthe you might as well make it the actual color of absinthe. But the dark teal color is still quite pretty! 
So after a couple coats of "Absinthe" I used plastic wrap to dab on white and grey polish. Then I used the water spotting method to get the black lines. It's basically where you put a few drops of black polish onto the surface of water, spray it with something like hairspray, which will create fine lines in the surface of the black polish, then dip your nail into a part you like to transfer the polish onto your nail. Much like water marbling. 
This was my first time ever using this sort of method, I don't even do water marbling that much because I find it sort of tedious. I think for a first try it came out pretty well though! I really like my pinky and index finger, I managed to get the finest lines on those. The other nails all seem to have larger chunks of black polish. 
Overall I think this is a manicure I'll be trying again sometime soon. Maybe with like other colors and stuff, it's a really cool effect and I got SO many people asking me how I did these! 
So that's all I've got you guys today! I'll be posting some more stuff this week (hopefully) before band camp so yay! Have a great rest of the day everybody!
Oh and fyi, THIS is absinthe
Please don't ask me how I knew all that.
~Nova

No comments:

Post a Comment